Sunday, July 3, 2011

Two Rides, Cool and Hot

The Layton Train
So I slept in Saturday, to 6 am.  I decided since I was planning on going long on Monday I'd take the kids out  and then do a Usery loop after that.  It's amazing how more excited kids are to go riding early in the morning if they went to bed before 10 pm.  Lately I've been trying to get them to up their pace a bit by offering them a shake every time they notch the average speed up 1 mph.  Wednesday they hit the 11 mph mark and today they did 12.2.  Of course it was pretty flat but still....


Happy Stoker
So the destination was Freestone park.  For some reason the kids like the rides to the parks even if they don't have a lot of time to play.  They haven't been too hip on doing usery loops lately but then again they haven't ridden a lot lately so flat and to the park it is.


Yeah,  I eat 18 mile rides for breakfast
I had orginally thought we wouldn't be back until after 9 so when the kids got back just after 8:30 I was surprised and glad I might have a chance at doing the loop before it got too hot.  Ha.  Although there was wispy clound cover in Mesa, Usery Pass was in full sun and the temperature was a lot higher up there and on the other side.  Usually it is the opposite.  There were a few people ahead of me but it was the time of diminishing returns and most cyclists were heading in to call it a day.  Can't say I blamed them.  I was suffering a bit heading down the Bush Hwy and almost stopped at Granite Reef to get in the river to cool down.  I made it though,  but I was pushing it.


Dad pays the piper after the kids ride.  115 degrees on the bike computer.  It was probably around 105 on the backside.

No comments: