Sunday, December 19, 2010

Morning Evening Rides

Four Peaks as the misty morning burns off.

I got two rides in on Saturday plus I got a floor mounted bike rack built so my wife can get the bikes out occasionally.  It was a very productive day.  I missed the Brumbys because I woke up late but still managed to get 40 miles in out on the wet roads.  It stopped raining right as I got out of the garage.


 Fountain Hills

Mountains are shrouded in mist and bicycle tires hiss slightly as they kick water up off of the road.  It's a cool morning but the windvest is soon discarded as the hills come.  The bike will need cleaning but that is a small toll compared to the beauty of a cool wet morning in the desert.  I can't give it all I have got as strength will need to be saved for the evening ride with the kids,  especially if we use the trail a bike.

 Microwave tower above Las Sendas

Still,  I elect to throw a climb to the top of Las Sendas in to clock me in at 1800 feet of climbing and take the ride up to 40 miles.  I'm late.  Fortunately it's not a morning where anyone cares about that.  My wife is off on errands and the kids are glued to the computer watching tv.  I am glad I took the extra time.


Your's truly.

After a busy day, as night falls, my boys remind me of my promise to ride.  My daughter decides to accompany my wife going out to help my Mom with her shopping.  It's just me and the boys.  Surprisingly there are long stretches where I felt like I was taking a nice leisurely ride at a comfortable pace.  Not a slow pace,  a comfortable pace... for me.  For an 8 year old that's a pretty good pace.  I think the boys are getting stronger.  I keep telling them night riding gets really cool when you get out of the city and up on the hill.  Sadly we don't have time, but we do get a bit of darkness and views of the city lights heading down McKellips.  After a dinner at Sonic it is a really cold ride home.  Next time we'll bring wind breakers.


No comments: