Saturday, November 22, 2008

Pedal Stroke Mechanics.



Over the last few years I have developed a rather interesting wear pattern on my shoe inserts. This morning I set out determined to practice a smooth and efficient pedal stroke, since I am taking it easy anyway babying my knee. That being said I concentrated on pedaling with the whole front of my foot instead of letting it roll to the outside. Throughout the ride I grew curious to see if my shoe inserts would show how much I pedalled on the side of my foot. The evidence was pretty convincing I found out when I pulled them out back at the house.

Throughout the ride I discovered a few things. Side to side cleat placement is an art and I think the cleats put dead center are the best solution for me.


On my left leg it was a bit difficult to get a good smooth ankle bend on the down stroke as my knee would over bend. I determined my seat was still a touch high and after two adjustments down the road got my left leg feeling fluid through the stroke. I believe my right leg is longer than my left leg. Different length legs are fairly common, it was just kind of funny to see how much difference a few mm can make in your pedal stroke.


Lastly, despite all the fit fixes I went through my leg still had a tendency to roll left. I think that I have solved the fit issues, and I think the rolling thing is a habit that has been learned over time through keeping the seat too high. So, how many pedal revolutions does it take to unlearn a pretty deep seated habit? How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? Who can tell.


No comments: