Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Ouch. PR Woohoo! Ouch.

Well, when I started the run on New Years day I knew I was in trouble in the first mile. Usually I will run a mile with dead legs just to make sure they are dead and not trying to trick me out of training. Well, they still felt dead after a mile. Hmm, I had two choices, although I really only had one if I still wanted to run the marathon on Feb 2nd. Of course I chose to stay out as I have too much training invested to bag on this. I did determine though that I would walk every couple of miles or less if I needed it. This approach led to a slower pace overall of course, but I think it was the right choice. Getting out a little later to have warmer temperatures was very nice as I was able to leave the jacket and the tights at home. On the otherhand, I had always thought that winds didn't affect runners that much. I now know that although a runner does not notice his percieved wind while he is running, a headwind is definitely noticeable and really slows the pace. The upside of running longer distances each week is that the previous weeks distance seems easier. This weeks distance hurt. The last 2 - 3 miles were really taking their toll on my knees and I can't say that they were fun. The 14-15 miles before that though were actually quite enjoyable. I had a new route that took me down to the canal/floodway and by a ritzy golf course and then up the Roosevelt fitness trail and back (with a quick loop through my neighborhood to get us over 18 miles. All told I feel it in my knees today. Also I am glad I am not doing my last long run until a week from Saturday. Having injured my foot a month ago has really screwed up my training schedule. I figure I lost 2-3 weeks of effective training (and I suppose the 300k brevet didn't help matters but I don't regret it). I did get some new running shoes out of the deal though. They seem to be working fine by the way. I ran for 3 hours and 50 minutes yesterday and I didn't have so much as a twinge in my right foot (last run it started to twinge a bit towards the end) so I think for all intents and purposes it is better. These long runs are really hard. I am not sure if I will do another marathon after this one. Not that I have a problem excersizing for great lengths of time, It just seems running requires a lot more effort. Then again, when I first start cycling long distances that was hard too. Hmmmm.

1 comment:

Bruce's Bike Blog said...

Hi Paul!

Your training is inspiring! We should call you "Slim" from now on! Glad you're still working up to a good goal this year.

Cheers!

Bruce